Tuesday 6 March 2012

'The past is a foreign country.'

I have been rooting around in the attic........................I can hardly believe that this little watercolour of cream cakes is nearly 30 years old!!!!  It was part of my major project at Leeds Polytechnic School of Art and Design (now Leeds Met.) back in 1983.  I made a series of prints and drawings all to do with the sensuality of food.   Leeds indoor market played a big part in my research............ sensuality...........Leeds indoor market!!???  Anyway back to the cream cakes, I think that there is something very 'drawing for textile design' about them and it reminds me of how it was that I first began to feel that textile design was what I should be doing......and 23 years later I started at CCAD !!

4 comments:

  1. Also, your beach scene had a sort of a random pattern about it. This cake image still looks good though Joy and, is it now 'vintage'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Paula and yes I suppose it probably is by todays standards! You should put some of your Leeds work up on paulalovatt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet image, love it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its funny when we look back...last trip home my sisters lad had my art work up from school (82) and I stood there thinking...so I could actually draw...the work wasn't bad...will have to see if i can get pictures...

    ReplyDelete